Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pioneering Witness

I'm so excited to be here in this moment. I want to sit beside Rosa Parks on that bus and tell her. "One day in the not too distant future a black man will win the democratic presidential nomination". I want to tell those brave women who gave their lives for the chance to vote. "One day a very strong, smart and equally as brave woman will fight quite strongly and be taken quite seriously as the potential president of the United States."

After so many, so very many years of darkness. I'm beginning to feel as though my country is waking up from a deep deep sleep. Millions of people have sacrificed so much to bring us here and just when I thought no one was paying attention. I look around to discover that people are inspired like never before. I'm so very proud that my daughter will learn about how a country that once enslaved and brutalized africans could change in such a way as to deem an african the best possible candidate to run it. Proud that my daughter will truly know that if she wants to be President. SHE CAN.

So many dark days have at long last led us to some very shining moments. I'm lucky to be a witness to the change to come.

1 comments:

LunaNik said...

This is truly an exciting moment in history!!