Friday, February 20, 2009

Wiggle Iggle Friday - Sentimental Style

Growing up my older and WAYYY cooler cousin Lisa was a huge fan of Duran Duran. I remember looking at this little fanbook she created with clippings from teen magazines. Looking back now that book was probably a huge inspiration behind my own fanzine. I of course had the mad hots for John Taylor. Simon had too much ego for me. I was a sucker for the brooding shy guys. Still am it seems

Recently while catching up on one of my shameful guilty pleasure shows, Nip/Tuck. They brilliantly placed Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer" it just amazed me how well that song fit into the scene. And how relatively timeless the song felt. I laughed about the wave of interest the song has probably gotten. People in their early twenties who will try to figure out who this "new" band is. It doesn't make me feel too old. But it does reinforce the notion that a good pop song can be timeless. And for all their cheesiness at times Duran Duran wrote some mighty good pop songs in their day, Need proof? see Rio, Planet Earth, and the underrated Careless Memories.

Again not a lot of wiggle in this one but it is my firm belief that 80's music could quite possibly be the answer to world peace. I kid.. sort of And you know what? you just can't beat the hook in this one.

2 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

This was always my favorite Duran Duran song. When I heard the opening start on that particular episode of Nip/Tuck, I absolutely sat up and said, "Hell, yes!"

Anonymous said...

My sister was IN LOVE with John Taylor. I just liked their music; I was not a groupie!