Monday, January 2, 2012

My 35th year.

One of my dear dear friends Laura posted this absolutely inspirational post just before the new year titled 35 things to do in my 35th year. Its just such an awesome idea; creating a sort of non-bucket list for each year. Its something a little bigger, dare I say more exciting, than new years resolutions. And its not your typical resolution fair. "I'm going to lose that weight" or "I'm going to quit smoking". No, Laura understands how its the big and little things that can bring the bigger joys. For instance, Number 19; "try sushi" or number 27 "change the van tire by myself". And there is an added plus to creating a list like this. You really take the time to think about all those things you've been putting off, to think about your life and what makes you feel happy and fulfilled. Its easy to come up with 35 or 40 or 50 things but its another to pick those particular 35 things that you really want to accomplish in this year not the next 5 or 6.


More often than not with resolutions we think only big and we do great for two or three weeks only to have the excitement wear thin thus leading us back to our old habits. The beauty of Laura's list is that she adds things that she knows she already enjoys doing, but wants or needs to do more, and lightly peppers it with the "shoulds". And I have to say thanks to my list I'm looking forward to the coming year like never before.

So without further ado my list:

Things To Do
1. Read 12 books.
2. Send birthday cards to my nearest and dearest
3. Fix my watch
4. journal daily (even if its one sentence)
5. Discover one new musical artist a month
6. Wear more jewelry
7. Wear more scarves
8. Complete at least one non-food Pinterest project per month
9. Blog at least once a week
10. make gifts for friends and family
11. Create wardrobe I feel shows the "real" me.
12. Finish one sewing project per month (once it arrives from storage)
13. Learn to properly knit and crochet
14. Learn how to play one good song on the piano
15. Try one new recipe a week.
16. Create Stella's reading nook
17. Begin Stella's yearly art books a' la my Pin-spiration
18. Learn how to braid Stella's hair.
19. Research and (if possible) join the local arts council.
20. Complete my first children's book and submit it to a publisher

Adventure/Active
21. Plant and nurture no more than 3 plants for the entire year.
22. Walk 365 miles (not in one day mind you)
23. Shoot a handgun (its that or break plates my friends)
24. Give my hubby at least one long lingering kiss per day
25. Get a new tattoo
26. Take at least one new photograph a week

Trips/Places To Go
27. See at least 2 shows at the Orange Peel
28. Take Stella to see a Play or Ballet Performance
29. Visit Tryon, the birthplace of Nina Simone (sigh)
30. Visit Black Mountain preferably overnight with my awesome hubby.
31. Purchase year passes to Chimney Rock Park/Hickory Nut Falls and use hell out of them
32. Go on at least one date a month with the hubby.

Healthy
33. Get the internal volume turned up on my hearing aids
34. Complete a juice fast
35. Eat clean for one month

And look at that folks, I've already begun work on number 9. So what about you? What would be on your year list?

1 comments:

Trish Rhodes said...

Here is mine I started back in 2009. Not much has changed lately and should probably add more...

http://ster00ling.livejournal.com/135348.html