Friday, February 3, 2012

Book 2: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

387 pages of pure intoxication.

"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night."

All throughout this book my heart ached for the Le Cirque des Reves to be real. (and still do)
Its certainly one I plan to read again in the future and certainly add it to my personal library. The attention to detail Ms. Morgenstern pays to relaying the details of the circus, its creators, performers, and admirers, can be a tad overwhelming at first. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find myself getting a bit frustrated at times because there are so many perspectives (causing it to feel a bit jumpy at times). But before you know it the picture moves into sharper focus and it all sinks in.


The journey of Celia and Marco and all those directly and indirectly related to their competition and the circus is so, pun intended; spellbinding. But all complications aside, this book is such a fantastic journey, and afterall is that not what great books are made of? The books I tend to gravitate toward usually involve situations or perspectives that aren't too far from the possible. Not since Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume have I been so swept away. Sights, smells, touch, they are all there amongst the pages of The Night Circus. This is by no means a light read, but one that is a must none-the-less.

0 comments: